Duration: 2 Years I Programme Code: 020311
Master of Science (M.Sc.) in Physics programme is designed to prepare students for a research career in academia or industry by introducing advanced ideas and techniques that are applicable in a wide range of research areas while emphasizing the underlying concepts of Physics. This course provides in-depth understanding of principles and concept of Physics, proficiency in experimentation to understand the theoretical and experimental dimensions of Physics.
Programme Educational Objectives
- The graduates will have knowledge of fundamental laws and principles in a variety of areas of Physics along with their applications.
- The graduates will develop research skills which might include advanced laboratory techniques, numerical techniques, computer algebra, computer interfacing.
- The graduates will become effective researcher who will be able to provide lucid summation of the scientific literature on a given topic of study.
- The graduates will develop the skill to plan, execute and report the results of an extended experimental or theoretical Physics based project in a research environment.
- Apply theoretical knowledge of principles and concepts of Physics to practical problems.
- Use mathematical techniques and interpret mathematical models of physical behavior.
- Demonstrate the ability to plan, undertake, and report on a programme of original work; including the planning and execution of experiments, the analysis and interpretation of experimental results.
- Assess the errors involved in an experimental work and make recommendations based on the results in an effective manner.
- Develop communication skills, both written and oral, for specialized and non-specialized audiences.
Distinctive academic curriculum, qualified and competent faculty members, transfer of knowledge through scholarly activities, Interdisciplinary project based learning, state-of-the-art laboratories, exceptional computational facilities, industry interaction and semester abroad opportunities.
Some of the major areas that will be covered
Mathematical Physics, Classical Mechanics, Advanced Electromagnetic Theory, Electronics, Experimental Techniques and Data Analysis, Atomic and Molecular Physics, Quantum Mechanics, Solid State Physics, Nuclear Physics, Numerical Methods and Computer Programming, and project based learning.
This structured course will facilitate a career in various institutions such as universities, colleges, schools, research and development centers of private limited and public companies etc.
An undergraduate degree in a related discipline from UGC approved University. In addition, applicants will also have to successfully complete a Goenka Aptitude Test for Admission (GATA) and appear for a personal interview.