Executive / senior industry position
Share this Job
Requisition ID: 231616
Senior Tunnel Engineer (Drill & Blast)
Saudi Arabian Bechtel Company will provide project management consultancy services (including technical, commercial and construction management) for the development of certain defined aspects of the NEOM Infrastructure in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
NEOM is a plannedcross-border city in the Tabuk Province of northwestern Saudi Arabia. The site is near the Red Sea and the borders of Egypt, Israel and Jordan. It will cover a total area of 26,500 km2 (10,200 sq mi) and will extend 460 km along the coast of the Red Sea.”
NEOM will be the home and workplace to more than a million residents from around the world. It will include towns and cities, ports and enterprise zones, research centers, sports and entertainment venues, and tourist destinations. As a hub for innovation, entrepreneurs, business leaders and companies will come to research, incubate and commercialize new technologies and enterprises in groundbreaking ways.
Detailed Job Description
The Senior Tunnel Engineer (Drill & Blast) – is a key member of the projects Design Review Team (DRT) managing and coordinates all engineering review activities relating to tunnelling works on the project. Responsible for acting independently on tunnelling engineering matters pertaining to the NEOM Projects.
- Establishes/manages the overall tunnelling engineering DRT budget, maintains ownership, and ensures execution within approved budgets.
- Keeps informed on the status of all projects involving assigned personnel with respect to schedule, budget, work quality and client satisfaction, and contributes leadership, experience and expertise in the solution of difficult problems.
- Reviews major changes or deviations in tunnelling project scope, project material quantities, budget or schedule, and assists particularly with defining the change, obtaining accurate estimates of the hours involved, and recommending budget adjustment pertinent to the DRT scope of work.
- Directs and provides technical and administrative guidance to assigned DRT and/or discipline Engineers in the management of the relevant activities.
- Champions the creation of a work environment, supported by leadership, which fosters openness, trust, communication, teamwork, empowerment, innovation, and satisfaction on the project.
- Take personal responsibility to ensure your own and others’ health and safety – including those who may be affected by the delivery of this role.
- Co‐operate in all matters relating to health, safety and environment, including following safe working procedures at all times and not deviating from agreed safe system of work
- Advocate, promote and engage Bechtel’s health, safety and environmental policies and initiatives
- Conducts annual performance reviews in accordance with approved procedures and holds career development
- Degree or postgraduate qualification in earth sciences, engineering from an accredited university or equivalent qualification.
- Minimum of 15 years progressive experience in tunnel design and design checks for underground construction and slope stabilisation projects in rock and soil especially in drill and blast.
- Extensive knowledge of international standards and codes.
- Evidence of direct experience in managing and executing tunnelling projects.
- Experience of Rock tunnel construction and slope support including design for rock and soil slopes for cuttings, portal faces, intake and outlet structures; slope and open cut support measures include rock bolts and anchors, soil nail walls, bored piles, soldier piles and lagging, concrete retaining walls and reinforced soil.
- General Knowledge of various tunnel construction methods, including cut & cover, semi- cut & cover and mining methods (SCL/NATM & TBM).
- General Knowledge of ground improvement methods for all types of soft ground, including groundwater drawdown, grouting, chemical grouting, jet grouting, compensation grouting and ground freezing.
- General Knowledge of Tunnel Ventilation Systems and fire life & safety designs and standards is a plus
- Strong English language communication and report writing skills.
- Ability to prepare clear strategic planning procedures and user friendly templates to assist entities in undertaking forward, strategic planning.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office and Adobe Design Suite software programs and have the ability to prepare
Essential Behavioural Skills:
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills, be a team player and have a knowledge sharing approach.
- Must have consultancy experience and be looking to broaden their planning and urban design skillset within the KSA NEOM context.
- Ability to solve problems by thinking laterally and be able to understand the needs and requirements of the client, entities and their EPMO’s – in order to provide planning / design / feasibility solutions in a multi -disciplinary / multi - sectional context.
- Must be able to work within a multi-disciplinary, multi-cultural team and manage challenging multi-cultural relationships across a range of entities.
- Must be self-driven and able to plan and execute work without direct supervision from senior management and/or peers.
- Must be flexible and adapt to working in a demanding PMO environment, including the need to travel and work remotely if / when required.
Preferred Technical Skills:
- Relevant experience in the KSA and a sound understanding of the cultural norms and requirements of the region.
- Arabic is preferred for the position (due to the degree of interaction required with Saudi Nationals).
This position is designated to be in New Delhi. Ability to adapt to other locations is requested.
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is one of the most respected global engineering, construction, and project management companies. Together with our customers, we deliver landmark projects that foster long-term progress and economic growth. Since 1898, we’ve completed more than 25,000 extraordinary projects across 160 countries on all seven continents. We operate through four global businesses: Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Oil, Gas & Chemicals; and Mining & Metals. Our company and our culture are built on more than a century of leadership and a relentless adherence to our values, the core of which are safety, quality, ethics, and integrity. These values are what we believe, what we expect, what we deliver, and what we live.
Bechtel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, citizenship status (except as authorized by law), protected veteran status, genetic information, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
Executive / senior industry position